Substance abuse, wrongful discharge, privacy, sexual harassment, employment contracts, Americans with Disabilities Act, immigration issues, workplace safety . . . These are just a few of the issues that make skilled legal representation a must for both small businesses and large corporations.
PK Law ’s employment law attorneys guide clients through the hiring, discipline, layoff and termination processes. We help them develop and implement policies and handbooks for these and other issues. We represent clients before federal, state and local administrative agencies including the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor, state and federal safety and health enforcement agencies and state and federal courts.
PK Law clients include small businesses with a handful of workers to Fortune 500 corporations with thousands of employees. We work with union and non-union companies.
- Advising employers on: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the federal plant closing statute (WARN), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Drafting and revising company policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment policies, drug and alcohol testing, social media, family and medical leave and affirmative action programs
- Union issues: union avoidance, NLRB elections, decertification proceedings, collective bargaining negotiations, drafting and administrating labor contracts and grievance arbitration hearings
- New employment laws: Maryland’s sick leave law, classification of workers (independent contractor vs. employee status), wage theft claims, workplace fraud, FLSA “tip credit” provision, wage-hour laws, Equal Pay Act, worker lay-offs, under age discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination
- Representation of businesses in: Sexual harassment claims, occupational safety investigations, unemployment insurance proceedings, employment litigation, unlawful discrimination claims, disability accommodation claims, wage and hour disputes and breach of employment contract and non-compete agreement cases
- Sexual harassment investigations: at the onset of a sexual harassment claim we can conduct a thorough investigation of the claim and prepare a report outlining our findings and recommendations for resolution
- Immigration: Conduct internal audits of employment records to ensure compliance with I-9 requirements and other U.S. immigration laws; conduct trainings on I-9 compliance and compliance with other U.S. immigration laws related to immigrant and nonimmigrant workers; counsel on how to prepare for a site visit from the Department of Homeland Security; and represent employers in investigations by U.S. federal agencies including Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Department of Labor
- Minority Business Enterprises (MBE)/Women Business Enterprises (WBE)/Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE)/Veteran Business Enterprises (VBE)
PK Law’s Labor and Employment Group Sends Monthly HR Tips to subscribers. HR Tips identifies new laws, judicial decisions and enforcement trends and provides actionable steps you can take to protect you and your business. Click the button below to subscribe.